Suicide bombings hit Istanbul Atatürk Airport: 41 dead, 239 wounded ( Live Updates)

Atatürk Airport

The death toll in a gun and suicide bomb attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport has risen to 41, 13 of them foreign nationals, with 239 injured, the Turkish city’s governor says.

Three suicide bombers carried out simultaneous attacks in the evening of June 28 at the Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul, claiming 41 lives and leaving 239 wounded.

The attacks took place in international flights terminal of the airport. Witnesses told that militants entered the building using the gates beside the CIP entrance, and made it to the passport control section by firing AK-47 assault rifles. Some also claimed that attackers threw three grenades at the passengers waiting in front of the boarding screen.

Binali Yıldırım, the Turkish Premier, announced that the terrorists arrived at the building in a taxi. He highlighted the possibility that one more terrorist might have fled the airport before/after the attack.

PM Yıldırım also blamed the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) for the attacks, noting that all the evidence led to the radical organization, which had carried out similar attacks in Ankara and Istanbul, as well as Brussels last March.

The Atatürk Airport is the third busiest airport in Europe, which was used by more than 61 million passengers last year.

Following the bombings, all flights to and from the Atatürk Airport were cancelled. A US official said that all flights between the US and Istanbul were temporarily suspended. Local authorities also barred all entries to and exits from the Terminals, and closed all the roads leading to the Airport.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.